It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:47 pm

Post subject: Site updates / New Site
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:39 am 
Site Admin

One question appeared in shoutbox that I want to answer and that probably more people are wondering:
"Is this place ever gonna get done up a bit, I'd love to see a change instead of seeing it like this every day, would be great to have a new fresh look"

Short version:
I know that lots of things here suck, new site is coming we're working on it for a long time and at the moment I am the one causing all the delays...
If you have any suggestions for the new site - feel free to post them here.
Release date: When it's done.

Long version:
I know that this site doesn't look too well, has lots of bugs, and hasn't seen any more visible change in at least year and a half and believe me I don't like it either...
New site has been in development for a long time now, my first estimates counted with it ready till july 2010, another till the end of september and here we are still without it. I have an internal release date in my mind, but I won't be making the same mistake of saying it and missing it again - I guess I work on Valve Time (link), so the only release date I'm going to give is - When it's done.
The site probably wont be completely done by the time it is online, but I want it to include more or less the parts that are on GDT as of this moment and add more later on, that way there is at least some hope that this project will see the light somewhen in the near future. I also want to point out that the only reason the site is delayed is me - I am the only one working on programming it and I put school and my personal life ahead of the site...
And on the other hand the new site should be faster, better looking and more secure, so there is definitely something to look forward to!

If you have any suggestions for the new site then feel free to post them here!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Site updates / New Site
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:57 pm 
GDT Donator

One thing I'd like to see is the Live Guide updating a bit more. Because it hardly has any thing to do with torrents (but I still like the place) so it seems to be not as updated as often. There less pictures and setlists and new sources not being updated.

Another thing I'd like to see is actually have info about the sources like the taper, equipment used, length and any other information about it like songs that are cut and other stuff). Also have circulated sources.

I'd actually love to help keep this place updated so if you would like I'd be willing to help.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

For the taper, length etc. we try to use dvdguide (for videos) and to keep live guide only for show info (with the link to dvdguide and torrents where available)

About the help - thanks a lot!! We really appreciate that!!! I or Henry will be sure to contact you with some details soon!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:17 pm 
GDT Donator

Yea that's true but in the live guide you have all the screen shots and set lists and in this you could just have simple information and leave the big stuff to there and just have a link to the DVD guide. That part would be good for audio because there's to real guide for stuff about that. Also add in like 30 second samples of each DVD and audio source

Also for the DVD guide there's a few shows that aren't there because people won't trade them but you could always get the info from them and just add it in (I'll help with that as well if you like)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:05 pm 

For the live guide, is quite hard keep it updated since only Henry or Paul have access to it, and they don't have enough time to do it.

For the uncirculated shows, I think that is a bit hard that people help, anyway, you can see some trading sites to get some info (like mine)

I perfectly understand why are the reasons why the new site isn't ready yet, so don't worry about that Paul :)

I think anyway that we must have a "community" feeling first before get a new site.

People don't comment too often saying what they dislike, like, or they'd love to see, and for me, that makes me sad, cause I feel that this is only "go and download". Theres very few people who cares the site, just I hope that in the next step that disappears in the time.

Cheers :)

Send me a PM if you can help

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:09 am 
GDT Donator

[quote="greendepent"]For the live guide, is quite hard keep it updated since only Henry or Paul have access to it, and they don't have enough time to do it.

For the uncirculated shows, I think that is a bit hard that people help, anyway, you can see some trading sites to get some info (like mine)
[/quote]
Yea that's why I said I'm willing to look after that section for them and help keep it updated. Yes I know some people might be a bit hard when get info for there recordings so if they don't answer we can just try and use what they have on there website.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

I will comment on few things, Paul has answered the rest already..
Live Guide now - I and Paul can edit and delete shows.
greendepent and bruno can both edit shows, mostly I told them to do just the recent shows, it has two reasons:
- one is simple - I have already prepared much material for Live Guide pre 2005 years. It would be contraproductive if you update it, too. - why dont I update the years??? is the second reason - we are working on the next generation of the site, and we are reworking completely the Live Guide. I have doubts whether we could transform everything from the old one effectively so please rather collect material, updates. When the testing phase is around, I will add what I have now, then there will be your turn. I will ask all you three if you still want to help. If yes, you will be given the rights to edit and update the Live Guide (I must of course check if you are doing a good work:D)
The last thing answers St.Jimmy's question, there will be all info you said

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:44 pm 
GDT Donator

I will continue helping in the Lg. One important thing in the next generation is that you allow more characters in the name of the concert in the Live Guide as some name are cut.